In preparation for the Lord’s return, we must become better students of God’s word. We must constantly be equipping ourselves with the knowledge of solid Biblical doctrine and we must be faithfully teaching it to others. The reasons this passage adds a sense of urgency are outlined below:
2 Tim. 4:2-5 “Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.”
1. As time passes, more people will reject sound teaching because it requires repentance
“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine;”
2. They will seek out pastors, teachers, and churches willing to accommodate their current lifestyles.
“but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;”
3. They will heed deceptive doctrine instead of truth because it accommodates their desires rather than God’s.
“And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”
LESSON - Paul’s teaching seems eerily prophetic, given our current spiritual climate. His challenge to Timothy is applicable to us as well.
1. Remain vigilant
“But watch thou in all things,”
2. Remain faithful during ridicule and persecution.
3. Always look for opportunities to share the Gospel and lead others to Christ.
“do the work of an evangelist,”
4. Take full responsibility for the ministry God has given you and watch how God will multiply your efforts.
“make full proof of thy ministry.”