Sin & the Believer
1. Sin is choice. We are FREE!
Gal 5:1 “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.”
2. We’ve been made free from sin so that we may focus upon the needs of others without the fear of sin’s penalty.
V13-14 “For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”
3. The key to making the right choices is maintaining close fellowship with the Lord by yielding to the HS.
V16-18 “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.”
4. If your life is characterized by sin, it is highly unlikely that you are a Believer.
V19a, 21b, 24 “Now the works of the flesh are manifest...they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.”
5. Let your life be characterized by godliness and a consistent walk with the Lord.
V25 “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”
LESSON - Our sin nature will always be a part of us until we receive our glorified bodies. Until then, we must maintain a close fellowship with the Lord in order to avoid temptation and sin’s consequences. Yield to the Holy Spirit’s guidance regarding every aspect of life. This will allow you to lead a clean life and remain focused on serving others rather than perpetually focused on yourself and repentance of sin.