Notice the relationship b/w sheep and their Shepherd in Jn 10:
1. They recognize His voice and follow it.
V3-4 “the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.”
2. They flee from the voices of others who would steal or harm them.
V5 “And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.”
3. They receive protection and pasture IF they enter through the ONE door.
V9 “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
4. They live b/c The Shepherd places their lives ahead of His own.
V11 “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
5. The Shepherd has a personal connection with each sheep.
V14 “I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.”
6. There are other folds and one day all of the folds will be together.
V16 “And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.”
LESSON - I believe that Israel is the first group of sheep mentioned in this passage, we are the “other” sheep in vs16. We are all treated the same and receive the same benefits according to v10b which reads “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” The challenge for us is to determine if we are choosing to receive the full benefits of our connection to our Shepherd. Ask yourself the following questions:
1. Am I obeying His voice?
2. Am I fleeing the voice of others who would lead me astray?
3. Am I enjoying His pasture or does the grass seem greener somewhere else?
4. Am I REALLY appreciative for life He laid down for you?
5. Am I taking full advantage of the opportunity He has provided to know Him personally?
6. Do I look forward to His return when we will all be together forever in Heaven?
7. Are YOU receiving the FULL benefits of the abundant life He offers you?