Onward Christian Soldiers
As we patiently wait upon the Lord’s return, He has offered us caution as well as instruction. As soldiers in God’s army, we must defend AND advance!
1. Beware false teaching!
• Understand their origin.
1 Tim. 4:1-2 “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;”
• Watch for low integrity.
“Speaking lies in hypocrisy;”
• Identify those with few convictions.
“having their conscience seared with a hot iron;”
2. Hold fast to solid doctrine & the Gospel instead of self improvement preaching.
• Avoid cliche’ preaching
V7-8 “But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness. For bodily exercise profiteth little:”
• Focus on Christ-likeness.
“but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.”
3. Prioritize your walk with the Lord NOW!
V12-14a “Let no man despise thy youth;”
• Consider your testimony
“but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”
• Give your life to the study and obedience of God’s word.
“Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.”
• Offer God your gifts and talents.
“Neglect not the gift that is in thee”
4. Respond to the call to GO!
• Let others see Christ in you (Mt. 5:16).
V15-16 “Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.”
• Verbally share the Gospel with others.
“Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.”
LESSON - Be watchful, but join the fight! We are in a battle for the hearts and minds of men, women, boys, & girls and we MUST win!!