As the Israelites were preparing to enter the Promised Land, God provided them and us valuable life lessons as He distributed their inheritance.
1. They owned it BEFORE they claimed it!
Numbers 34:1-2 “And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Command the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye come into the land of Canaan; (this is the land that shall fall unto you for an inheritance, even the land of Canaan with the coasts thereof”
2. What appears to be chance is actually the Lord fulfilling His promises.
V13-14 “And Moses commanded the children of Israel, saying, This is the land which ye shall inherit by lot, which the LORD commanded to give unto the nine tribes, and to the half tribe: For the tribe of the children of Reuben according to the house of their fathers, and the tribe of the children of Gad according to the house of their fathers, have received their inheritance; and half the tribe of Manasseh have received their inheritance:”
3. God works in conjunction with His godly servants to provide His blessings.
V16-17 “And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, These are the names of the men which shall divide the land unto you: Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun.”
LESSON - Through these passages we see God’s character on display as He blesses His people.
1. God is omniscient - Just as He knew what land would belong to each tribe, he already gave them the title before they had claimed it for themselves.
2. God is omnipotent - Though this may have appeared random to the Israelites because lots were involved, God was working through the chances to reveal what He had already designed.
3. God is omnipresent - God’s Spirit was at work in the hearts of His servants to provide for them God’s inheritance.
God’s character is on display in our lives as well! God knows everything about us, developing within us what we will need for tomorrow’s challenges. Things that may seem random to us are really God performing His will by redirecting our path to His plan away from our agenda. On occasion God will use godly people to offer wisdom, advice, or physical provision just when we need it. Ask God to develop within you the spiritual discernment to see Him at work in your life. Once you begin to see all the ways in which God is and has been at work in your life, your natural response will be overwhelming thankfulness to Him for His goodness!