Hebrews 11 outlines a list of heroes of the Christian faith. These were men and women who lived their faith out loud. These were the “cloud of witnesses” who blazed the trail for us to follow so that their faith may continue for many generations. Contained within chapter 12 is the charge outlined by these heroes for us to live.
Heb. 12:1-2 “Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses,”
1. Repent of our strong holds, the ongoing sins which plague us from experiencing real joy.
“let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us,”
2. Resolve to live for the Lord with a spirit of perseverance.
“and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,”
3. Remember the Lord’s return is imminent. Live for His good pleasure.
“Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;”
4. Reflect upon the Cross often. Keep His sacrifice before you.
“who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame,”
5. Realize the purpose of Christ’s work was to have a relationship with you.
“and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
LESSON - Once a person discovers the true freedom which living for the Lord brings, it becomes difficult to settle for less. Unfortunately, not enough Christians will ever experience this level of joy. It all begins with the first step...what sin do you need to lay aside?