Why did the Lord call the scribes and Pharisees hypocrites?
Mt 15:7-9 “Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,”
1. Their words and their motives were not aligned.
“This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.”
2. Their worship was empty b/c their hearts were not sincere.
“But in vain they do worship me,”
3. They had added their own form of morality to God’s Law.
“teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.”
LESSON - Before you go public with something, let God deal honestly with you in private. For good reason the world despises hypocrites, so don’t be one. This passage provides a plan of action for avoiding the pitfalls of hypocrisy.
1. Focus on the condition on your heart and the Lord will align your speech with right motives.
2. Worship Him everyday, all day and your corporate worship will have real meaning and purpose.
3. Focus your life on obedience to God’s word. Remember, if you are genuinely pleasing Him, you will also please the people who matter.